Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Some FAQ

Some of the questions I get asked, as a scooter rider:

Do you need a motorcycle license? No, not if the engine is under 50cc and has an automatic transmission. A regular automobile drivers license is all that is needed.

Do you have to wear a helmet? No, in PA, you don't have to. Eye protection is all that is required.

Do you wear one anyway? Yep. Sure do. I like my skin and bones, and the ones around my brain are some of my favorites.

What kind of mileage do you get? Mine gets about 110mpg, but that will vary with body size and weight. After all, the rider weighs almost as much as the scooter. My C3 also has a fuel-injected four-stroke. A bigger two-stroke may only get 60mpg. It's still better than a car.

How fast does it go? A 50cc scooter, unmodified, tops out at about 40mph. So you can't take it on the highway. You can buy models that will do 80mph, but you'll need a motorcycle license.

How do you get a motorcycle license? In PA, pay $10. You'll get a learner's permit, which you can renew, annually, indefinitely I believe. To get the full license, which allows you to carry a passenger, you'll have to pass a driving test. Or you can take a motorcycle safety course.

How much gas does it hold? Mine has just over a 1 gallon tank. That means that filling it up costs less than lunch. Filling up my car costs more than lunch for week.

Do you ride it in the travel lane, or on the shoulder? Right in the travel lane, just like a motorcycle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gerry has some good points here, but is inaccurate on the helmet issue. In PA you must wear a helmet if you have had less than 2 yrs motorcycle experience, or have not taken a motorcycle safety course. (Which is free) This program is located at Millersville University and Ephrata Highschool. It was a great program, and I learned alot. They supply the motorcycles and the helmets, if you are just getting started.

Also while 49cc engines and below don't require you to have a motorcycle license, you still need to get your scooter registered through PennDot.

I am a local defense attorney, and travel to every court location in the county on my scooter, a Kymco Grand Vista 250...suit, tie, helmet, and all. I get my share of looks, and I wouldn't change a thing!

Gerry said...

He's right on the helmet thing... though I'm not sure how they'll know if you have less than 2 years experience.
Perhaps you can answer this: Is a rider of a <50cc scooter with no M class lisence allowed to ride after dark?


Scooter-Relief.org