Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Armor Up

One of the things that I didn't consider when I decided to buy a scooter was how much I would spend on accessories. I bought a half-helmet that day because I thought it was just a scooter, it doesn't go that fast, you wouldn't get that hurt in an accident. Subsequent reading on the internet convinced me otherwise. I'll spare you the links, as my goal is to encourage you to ride a scooter, not scare you off. Suffice to say that the smart thing to do is to ride as if an accident inevitable. And skin is no match for pavement.

I ride a scooter, and a C3 at that, so obviously I'm not into this for some macho trip. When I pass a Harley rider, as I did today, with no helmet and wearing only a wife-beater, I can't imagine how it would feel to slide on the pavement dressed like that. I will ride for fun often, but I'm also into this for the commute to work. And I expect to arrive intact. It seems that the biggest threat that scooter riders face is other motorists pulling out in front of you. All your mad riding skillz aren't going to save you then. With the right equipment, however, you should escape with minimal damage.

I decided to upgrade to a full-face helmet. I realized that my half-helmet might save my life, but it won't do a thing to save my face. So I ordered a HJC CL-Max. It is actually a modular helmet, which means that the chin bar and shield lift up so that you can put it on and off like a 3/4 helmet. Nice for us glasses-wearing riders.

I bought some Joe Rocket gloves with padded knuckles, in case a rock or hornet flies into my hand. Your hands control the bike. I wouldn't want to lose the use of one for a second at full speed. Plus there are metallic kevlar pads in the palms for extra protection should I try to brace myself with my hands in a skid.

Lastly, an armored mesh jacket. Wind passes right through most of the jacket. But it contains built-in elbow, back, and shoulder pads. The one I bought is pictured here (a Tour Master Draft Air jacket), and has reflective piping above the white stripe. It also has a bunch of pockets, which is nice. You ladies carry purses, but guys carry everything in pockets. During the summer, I miss the pockets of my winter coat. This has a special mobile media pocket, which is perfect for my smartphone. And I look forward to shopping for a bad-ass leather one when Autumn comes.

Expensive, yes, but I consider some of this as a lifetime investment. A lifetime that will be longer because of them. Will I wear all this gear every time I ride? Probably not. Especially shopping downtown where I'm on and off, in and out of stores. But I will wear it when I commute. With my hands, elbows, shoulders, and head covered, I feel like I could take a 20-foot slide and still make my 10am meeting.

No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org