Saturday, November 10, 2007

Country Riding

Even though it was cold today, I put on some long underwear and went for a ride. With the right gear, even at 39 degrees, it's not bad. The trees are probably at the height of their color right now. The countryside is beautiful. Harvest time is over and places are preparing for winter. It's a transitional time of year that is especially noticable in an agricultral area.

Today I stumbled upon Zook's Mill Covered Bridge on Log Cabin Road, just off Rose Hill Road, East of Brownstown. I had to stop and take a few pictures with my cell phone. (Note to self: get a small digital camera to carry on these trips... these cell phone images aren't good enough.) Surrounded by farms, along a small river, it was a very peaceful place.
As I was taking pictures of this bridge, across Rose Hill Road, a trio of Amish men repaired a masonry wall on a farm. The whole experience made me feel that I am lucky to live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It's a place that people come from all over to tour. There are winding roads, small towns, rivers, bridges, and diners. With the exception of switch-back mountain roads, it's the kind of place that motorcycle magazines write articles about it. And all we have to do is walk out the door and enjoy it.

No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org