Sunday, January 18, 2009

Las Vegas

There hasn’t been much action here at ScootLancaster lately. There have been a couple fitful starts and stops. What have I been up to? Well, I thought I was going to get back into it here. Ironically, 2 hours later I found out that the guy in the cubicle next to me was let go and I would start covering for him. I have taken over his job, and that came with a long To-Do list. It also came with a trip to Autodesk University in Las Vegas.


While in Vegas, I rented a Honda 1300ST and rode out to Hoover Dam. It was fun, and great to be out in the sun on a bike during the first week of December. The Honda was really smooth and I loved the electric windshield. But it was heavy and really fell into corners at low speeds. It was great on the highway, but a little work in town. When I got back and rode the Versys again, it felt like a dirt bike.

Las Vegas is a town of highways, heavy traffic and monumental architecture. So it surprised me to see a number of scooters out and about. One local on a little scooter even engaged me in conversation at a stop light and jokingly offered to race me on the 1300.

At the keynote address of the Autodesk convention, they revealed this chopper. They claimed that it was, at the time, the largest piece ever created on a 3D printer. It was meant to show the state of the art in computer design and rapid prototyping.


I made it a point to get out and see the sights. I stayed at the MGM Grand, but spent a lot of time across the street at New York, New York. I saw the Bellagio fountains. I met an old high school friend who lives out there, and she showed me Fremont Street. I saw a show and gambled (for about 20 minutes). I had a blast, and hope to go back.


No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org