Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gas prices down... for now.

Yesterday on CNN.com, there was a story about how gas prices had been going down for the last few days. There was a story about gas shortages and panics in Southern states. And there was the news about oil's largest price increase ever. Record oil price increases, gasoline shortages, and falling gasoline prices... one of these things doesn't belong here.

Gas prices aren't low, but they are low compared to where they were. And they can't stay where they are. Oil prices and gasoline shortages (perceived or real) have to bring gas prices back up again. That's the way I see it, at least.

I was up at Trans Am Cycle the other day and they had some new Kymco scooters in stock. A salesman was telling a customer that scooters had been flying out the door over the summer, and they were finally getting some back in. The 08's were sold out. These were 09's. He said that if gas prices stayed low, they would probably sit on his floor for a while. But if gas got above some magic number (he wasn't sure what that number was), people would be in to buy up every scooter he had.

Well, read the writing on the wall. Gas prices will be going up. And scooters are in stock. There is still plenty of riding season left; with arguably the most beautiful scenery of the year. So get that scooter you've been thinking about and enjoy it.

1 comment:

Scootin' Fool said...

I had a similar thought a few weeks ago. I've been gas conscious since I started driving. I think my dad ingrained that in me. He once put 20 gallons of gas in a 15 gallon tank (I've no idea how), just because he got it for free through some contest or other and it was either use it all on one fill up or lose it, so he somehow used it.

I'm not quite that miserly, but each time I've purchased a vehicle, I've been interested in the fuel economy. It never seemed prudent to get a gas guzzling vehicle since even at $.89 a gallon, it added up.

Some people don't think that way.


Scooter-Relief.org