Tuesday, June 17, 2008

First Anniversary

It's been a year that this site has been in operation. What has changed? Well, gas is up another dollar, and people finally seem to be coming around to the idea that scooters are a smart way to get around. I see a lot more scooters in the City.Honda Elite outside the Starving Artist Cafe I'm not going to take credit for that... $4 gas is the culprit, I'm sure. But it's good to see nonetheless.

I thought I would be publishing maps, leading rides and joining clubs. That turned out to be wrong. I'm not a leader or a joiner apparently. I like to do things at my own pace and on my own schedule. In addition to a full time job and the other things I do, this site is enough. I've met some great people over the last year, and hope to meet more over the next year. But it's unlikely it will be because of anything I've organized. I'd love for there to be an active scooter club in Lancaster and/or a scooter store downtown. But it will have to come from someone else. If you need some web publicity, you know how to contact me.

I went from never having ridden a motorized 2-wheeler to passing the MSF Course and getting my license. I've got 2,700 miles on the scooter. I've put similar amounts on 2 motorcycles. All said, the scooter is more fun. If my bikes were both stolen today (and they better not be), I'd probably replace them with a big scooter. Last Sunday I rode the motorcycle down to the Chesapeake Bay and hopped from Havre de Grace, to Charlestown, to Northeast and Chesapeake City. It was a wonderful day. I want a scooter that can make that trip. I recommend going to the Tidewater Grille in Havre de Grace and having their signature Copper Ale. (P.S. Stay away from Chesapeake City. You wouldn't like it. Go to Northeast. Yeah, that's it. That's more your kind of town.)

What will things be like a year from now? Will there be more dedicated motorbike parking around town? How much will gas cost? What bikes will I have? I am curious.

No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org