Monday, September 7, 2009

New Scooter

My accident caused me to re-evaluate my riding habits. I re-thought what I enjoy about riding, and what I can do without. I knew I didn't want to give up riding. My first time back in the saddle of the scooter felt like seeing an old friend again. I had no such feeling with the motorcycle. I like touring, but for the purpose of seeing something or experiencing a new place, not just to put miles on as fast as possible. If I never spend another 3-hour stretch on the Turnpike, that would be fine. Scooters, with their all hand-controls, are easier to handle than a motorcycle that requires all 4 limbs working in harmony to keep the engine from stalling and the wheels under you. And now, with the knowledge of how a crash feels, working that hard to conrol a bike at those speeds is not the thrill I'm looking for. (Too many close calls already.) I was thinking about a Honda SH150i. I like the modern technology, but couldn't embrace the styling. To top it all off, this Vespa dealer opens in town...

Enter the Vespa 300 Super, my new ride. It's not a true 300, it's actually 278cc, but that is a lot for the geometry and wheel size. It has the classic look and feel I like, down to the analog gas and temperature guages.

I had to ask myself; if you got the Honda, would you still want a Vespa someday? Yes. If you got the Vespa, would you miss not having the Honda? No. So there you have it.

By the way, Keim Pre-Owned was pleasant to deal with. The people are friendly and easy to work with. They are still learning about their scooters, so you may have to supplement their knowledge with your own research. But they'll get better. While I could feel them trying to close the deal, I never felt pressured. Ask for Kenny, and tell him you read about it here.

I've still got the Yamaha C3. Its weight and easily-replaced plastic panels still make it attractive for in-town use. You can pull it up on the sidewalk against a building, without sweating the scratches. Plus, it costs very little to keep it registered and insured. I'll keep it. But if you are interested in buying a 2008 Kawasaki Versys with hard saddlebags, drop me a line.

No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org