Monday, September 7, 2009

Ephrata First Sunday Ride-In, September 2009

I attended the Ephrata First Sunday Ride-In this weekend. There were a few scooters mixed in the crowd, as usual. The most classic I found was this Lambretta, followed by his Vespa friend in the background.

I stood back from my new white Vespa and listened to comments of people of they walked by, as an experiment. I was curious how scooters are percieved by the crowd there. Comments ranged the spectrum. A petite female sport bike rider said to her two male friends, "I wouldn't be caught dead on scooter. It is cute, though..." A burly biker dude told his buddy, "I'm tellin' you, that's the shit. Nice!"

The Wild Hogs Scooter Club showed up with a representative party. The Wild Hogs started in Philly, and has expanded by affilating other clubs, including one in York. The members that made it to Ephrata were riding Asian maxi-scooters by Suzuki, Sym and Kymco.

The most interesting of them was a triked-out Kymco Grandvista 250. This kit adds two out-rigger wheels, without removing the rear drive wheel (technically making for 4 wheels). It looked strangely natural, like it was supposed to be that way. It had a spaceship feel to it. You normally see these kits on bigger bikes. But as a mid-size, it looked fun.

No comments:


Scooter-Relief.org