Monday, July 30, 2007

The Dutchland Rollers

The Dutchland Rollers are a local roller derby team. I have been curious about them for a while; why roller derby? Why in 2007? Who are these people?. Well, I was lucky enough to win some tickets in a raffle and found out at their match on July 21st.
It seems to me that it is a off-shoot of the punk and alternative scene. Tatoos were abundant in both the crowd and on the contestants. Rude sayings flourished on T-shirts and as clever puns for the ladies’ pseudonyms. But with the exception of the language, the whole event had almost a family-friendly vibe to it. There were plenty of children there, and they were having a lot of fun.
The match itself is skated on a flat oval with old-school quad roller skates. The rules seem complicated until you see it in action. A match consists of 3 periods, each with many short “jams”. After a couple jams it is easy to pick up on the action. By the second period I found myself saying things like, “Ooooo, Torque Wench is the jammer, she’s good!” I had become a fan without realizing it.
What does this have to do with scooters? Well, there was a red Metropolitan in the parking lot… and the friends I went with brought a friend from out of town, Kelly Marshall, who took these pictures. Kelly is fearless on her Yamaha Vino 125. She’s ridden it on the Washington beltway, which makes her my new hero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The woman who bought my Vespa ET2 is a roller derby participant, but I can't remember the name of her team. As for riding on the beltway... well, let's just say I don't even like to ride on the beltways around here in a large car, much less my scooter... I hope Kelly will consider some less treacherous routes.

poiyuyff said...

Two of our league members ride scooters. Hope you enjoyed the bout, and please come to another!- Lucy van Belt #5 cents


Scooter-Relief.org